Monday, July 30, 2007

Week 6 Media Item #1: Asians in Hollywood

Copyright Asian Week Nov 10, 1989
LOS ANGELES -- There are several up-and-coming Asian Pacific American actors in Hollywood. The two actresses featured in this month's column are not only talented but share in the belief that they have what it takes to "make it" in the industry.
Amerasian actress, Ren Hanami, has been preparing to be an actress all her life. "I know it sounds corny, but I've always wanted to be an actress. Even when I was little I used to sing and dance for everyone. It's all a process," said Hanami.
Singing was Ren's first love. She also discovered acting while at UCLA and was torn between the two arts. She chose acting and graduated with a degree in theatre arts.
Hanami credits New York acting coach, David LeGrant with helping her break out of the "boo-been-de-doo" syndrome and mature as a performer. She made her professional debut as an actress in the TV series, "Bronx Zoo" starring Ed Asner.
Ren's hard work is beginning to pay off. She can be seen in the following television shows for fall: "Tour of Duty," "Love With a Twist," Sandy Duncan's "Hogan Family," and "The Bakery," an ABC special. Currently, she can be seen on stage in Stephen Sondheim's musical "Company," playing a Goldie Hawn type of character at East West Players.
"Call me a triple threat. I sing (with a style similar to Paula Abdul), dance and act," said Ren. "My goal is to have a career as an actress/singer. I want to be able to wake up in the morning and go to work as a performer, not as a secretary sitting behind a computer terminal somewhere," said Hanami.
"I'm Amerasian... in between. I know what discrimination is," said Hanami matter of factly. "There are so many people like me who work hard and then casting pulls someone from off the street when they're looking for a specific race," she said. "There are some shows that are more enlightened than others, like 'Tour of Duty.'" Ren praised them for casting her as a Vietnamese woman without asking any questions about her ethnic background.
Ren's career is going well. Her agent, Rick Martel, has provided her with the opportunities and she's been able to deliver the goods. Ren prefaced what she said with "I hope this doesn't sound conceited but I feel I'm talented. I've been blessed with an instrument, my voice. I have to keep the faith, keep plugging and the doors will open," said Ren.
"Whenever I become frustrated or sad, I think about the people who've made it. Everyone I admire, believe in themselves. They try to be the best they can be," said Hanami.
Ren continued her thoughts about her life and said, "I have a wonderful husband who's also an actor. David is my support and foundation and likes to feel he's making a contribution to my career. I've been blessed, good things have come to me in life," said Hanami.
"I love to travel and learn about new cultures," says Filipina-American actress Rochelle Ashana. This versatile actress/singer has performed in exotic locations such as the Philippines and Thailand and would like to establish herself as an international leading lady.
Ashana came to Hollywood from Hawaii. She was the lead singer in a jazz-rock band on the islands and was discovered by producer/casting director, Jerry Walden. The success Rochelle's achieved has been through her own hard work and motivation. Rochelle enrolled at UCLA and graduated with a degree in MPTV.
Rochelle has accomplished a lot in the four years she's been in Hollywood. She's guest starred on many television shows including "The A Team," "Hooperman," "Jake and the Fatman," "Magnum P.I.," and well-known "soapers" such as "The Young and the Restless," "Santa Barbara" and "General Hospital."
She also hosted her own television show called "U.S. Asians" on cable television for two years. Rochelle felt she expanded her knowledge about Asian culture through the show. "It was also the basis of my training for the industry. I learned all about directing, editing, voice-overs, everything," said Ashana.
"Since I've been in Hollywood, I've been working steadily. This is my niche. I'm not waiting, I'm making it happen," said Rochelle. "I read biographies of successful people to see if they have a secret I should know about," confided Rochelle. She also has two scripts in the works based on her story ideas.
Rochelle actively pursues her goals of becoming leading lady. As a featured player on "Fright Night 2," she paid attention on the set. "I didn't sit in my dressing room but observed the day's shooting. I also learned to carry my own "cominuity book," which contained her lines for the day and photographs of her wardrobe. After all, you're the one who looks stupid if the script girl isn't on the ball," said Ashana.
Ashana felt "Fright Night 2" was great preparation for her co-starring role in "Kickboxer," opposite Jean-Claude Van Damme. "Kickboxer" was number one at the box office in Europe for six weeks and is doing well in United States distribution. Rochelle felt it was also a bonus being able to film in Manila.
Before she completed "Kickboxer," she met director Adrian Carr, who cast Rochelle opposite Richard Norton in "Sword of the Bushido," which will be released next year. Being skilled in the martial arts, she did her own stunts portraying the leader of a rebel army in Thailand.
Ashana can be seen in "Trenchcoat in Paradise," starring Dirk Benedict, in November. Other upcoming television appearances include "Peaceable Kingdom," starring Lindsay Wagner and "227," with Marla Gibbs.
Casting notes: Mike Chan, "Alien Nation," and "Hardball"; Rodney Kageyama, "American Dream Contest"; Mariko Tse, "Murphy Brown"; Francine Nguyen, "China Beach"; Ernest Harada, "Nutt House" and "His and Hers"; Soon-Teck Oh, "Hunter"; Jane Chung, "A Brand New Life"; Jim Ishida, "Mancuso: FBI" and "Jake and the Fatman"; Richard Herkert, "Fear Stalk"; James Hong, "Framed" and "Tango and Cash"; Philip Tan, "Tango and Cash" and "China Cry"; Keye Luke, "Gremlins II"; Shaun Shimoda, "Problem Child" and April Tran, "Nowhere to Run." - Serisawa, Susan





The above article, "Asians In Hollywood", is by Susan Serisawa in the newspaper Asian Week. The article was published in 1989 in Voume 11, issue 11. The article mainly deals with Asian-Americans and their life in Hollywood. However, there are some key elements in the article dealing with Ren Hanami's experiences as an Asian in Hollywood. She says that she has experienced discrimination on some level as she was often casted away for a role because her background didn't match what a caster wanted, and people who aren't professional actresses would get her role.

The part of the article dealing with Hanami and discrimination is related to Frank Wu's article Writing Race. Wu describes many instances of Asians discrimination including his own personal experiences. On p. 416 Wu mentions that often minorities aren't judged on their own character, but on their appearance. Similarly, Hanami judged on her appearance. She has the character and ability to perform in the role, but was cast aside for a non-professional as she says. This type of discrimination is subtle, but important nonetheless because it shows the type of discrimination the casters had gotten away with without anyone saying anything. Hanami's experiences are important in understanding discrimination against Asians in America just as Wu's experiences are also important.

I thought the part of the article dealing with Hanami's discrimination was interesting because at first I didn't understand what was being said. So in a way I did not fully understand the discrimination that was occurring. It took me a while to understand what was happening. Hanami was being discriminated based on how she looks like even though she is more than capable of performing in the role. However, by denying her the role and picking out someone based on appearance instead of capability, the caster is being racist and discriminatory. It may take a while to understand fully how the event is discriminatory because it is so subtle. However, by putting myself in Hanami's place and imagining how I'd feel if the same happened to me I can understand the discrimination taking place.

Text citation:
Sserisawa, Susan. "Asians In Hollywood." Asian Weekly: Vol. 11, Issue 11. 10 Nov 1989: p. 14. Ethnic Newswatch. BGSU Lib., OH. July 28, 2007 <http://0-proquest.umi.com.maurice.bgsu.edu/pqdweb?index=10&did=496507611&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=3&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1185806757&clientId=3340>.

No comments: